Friday, April 2, 2010

Buenos Aires, Argentina (week 1)





After a major annoyance with Delta airlines and a day spent in Atlanta, I finally made it to Buenos Aires on Tuesday morning, just one day behind schedule. I am renting a room (and by room I mean twin bed in the living room) in a 1 bedroom apartment with two sister from Chile. They have lived in BA for 3 years. The eldest (24) is studying design and engaged to a guy from LA, and the youngest (19) is studying architecture. They are both very nice and obviously speak Spanish so that is very helpful for me! My Spanish teacher (Hernan), who I was referred to from Kate's cousin who lives in BA with her Chilean hubby (her name is Corrie) met me for a delicious first dinner that night. We shared a big plate with a hunk o' meat (great steak!), sweet potatoes, grilled veggies, patatas fritas (french fries), cheese, and other various goodies. That and a shared bottle of Malbec made me very happy! I started my Spanish classes the next morning, and spent the next couple of days walking around the city getting my bearings and doing odds and ends like studying and grocery shopping. Thursday a friend of Marisa's, Kevin, met up with me to help me buy a phone since he lives in the area - then we met up with two of my friends whom I met traveling in New Zealand, from England, and went out to another wonderful dinner with tasty local wine. We went out to a chill outside bar afterwards and met some of his friends in BA. I spent the weekend with my two friends walking around BA, seeing the sights, and eating the BA food and drinking the BA drinks! On Saturday we went out with a girl I met while in Vietnam, Florencia, and her friends in BA. Usually we go to dinner around 11:00-11:30, have drinks until 2 or 3 and THEN go to the club, because if you go any sooner, you are a big huge loser apparently :) So we went to the club for her friend's birthday around 3:00am and made it home around 6:30am. I was definitely not used to this night life, and therefore slept in the following day until about 3pm :)

BA is a great city though - lots of parques and plazas - tons of different neighborhoods and what not with different things unique about each area. It's a massive city, didn't realize how huge it is, 11 million people live in 'greater' BA (vs. 8.3 million in greater NYC). That's a lot of people!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment