Friday, January 22, 2010

Down Undah!

St. Kilda

Me and the English couple I met at our hostel

1.20.10 - I made it to Melbourne in the morning after not sleeping at all on the flight (enjoyed the free wine and movies too much :) ) but made myself get out and see the city after checking into the hostel. I went from living like a queen in Cambodia to literally a frat house at the hostel in Melbourne. Ok it's not that bad but I was in a mixed 8 person dorm and when I walked in they hadn't cleaned it yet so it looked dirty but it was tidied up later. There was a 60 year old guy there, two british guys that claim they are 23 but I swear they are 14, and another guy who was in the war so he tells all these crazy war stories, and he has this huge knife he carries with him and also he is a masseus - very eclectic group to say the least! haha. So I stuck around the St. Kilda area of Melbourne, which is where my hostel is, and is on the water and has a beach town-city feel to it, very nice! I walked up and down the two main streets, Fitzroy and Ackland, and shopped, had drinks outside in the beautiful weather, and just enjoyed the seaside town. That night they had a free BBQ (which was great for me because at this point my ATM AND credit cards weren't working) and met a lot of nice people in my hostel. A British couple (who is on their honeymoon) and I went out and tried some of the other bars around us but we came back to the hostel and their bar was actually the busiest out of all of them. They had live music and it was just an all around good time. I was happy to finally get to bed when I did since it had been 2 days without sleeping.

Melbourne

Melbourne


it's true!

Melbourne




St. Kilda

1.21.10 - I originally wanted to see the Great Ocean Road today, but renting a car alone was too expensive and I tried booking the night before and it was all booked up so I had to just miss it... but instead I spent the day seeing the sights of Melbourne (city center) - it's a beautiful city! I really liked it. Great restaurants, beautiful gardens and buildings, pretty river running through - a very charming city! Started at Federation Square (where everyone was watching the Australia Open on a huge big screen, was in Melbourne while I was there) and then walked along Collins St. (their version of Boston's Newbury Street) and just window shopped - then went to some of the cheaper stores I stumbled upon as I did my walking tour of the city.Too many amazing stores though - seriously I can't let myself go into any more stores in Australia because I love their clothes but it's all very expensive. Bought myself a few cute things though :) Had a nice day hopping around the city and snapping tourist photos, then headed back and had a nice $4 Subway for a cheap dinner. One of the guys staying in my room actually is from 40 minutes outside of Port Huron in Canada - small world! We walked around this festival they had right outside our hostel and walked up and down the pier - didn't score a penguin sighting but I'm hoping for one before I leave. Our hostel had another big party, didn't really get the theme of it - they were auctionng off male strippers...? not sure for what exactly, and all the bartenders were dressed as pirates... so I didn't totally get it but it was a fun party anyway. We tried going to another pub as well but it wasn't as fun as our hostel so we went back there for the night.


St. Kilda view of downtown Melbourne


Luna Park - St. Kilda


1.22.10 - slept in, lunch outside, beach for a while, flight to Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment