Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sydney


Sydney Opera House


SOH + me

1.22.10-1.24.10: I am getting to this a bit late but pretty much I spent 3 days in Sydney enjoying the sights and planning the next few days of travel, as I completely changed my itinerary. Decided to cut out Surfer's Paradise to spend an extra day in Byron, as I am a bit sick of going from one place to the next (planning, packing, and traveltime-wise as well as meeting people and enjoying spending time with them). I did the good 'ol touristy red double decker hop on hop off bus where I got to see all of the main sights of Sydney and stopped for some shopping in some of the markets and some good fish and chips and local brew at one of the wharfs. Didn't do any shopping (as I had done plenty in Melbourne :) ) but I did walk through the Queen Victoria building which was beautiful. Saw the bridge and opera house as well as well as other sights within the city. Went out with some people from the hostel on my last night, the first place we went was just a huge backpacker hang out but we got free drinks and food so of course I was there. Then me and a few other people hit up King's Cross which is supposed to be the party hub of Sydney, but not the posh trendy part, I think more of the historically party area but now kinda trashy...? Either way it was quite a site to see, and we hopped in and out of a few clubs, and ended up at this one I really liked but now I can't remember the name... I was in my Havianas (as I only brought one other pair of shoes), but they wouldn't let me in without heels and closed toe, but the only store open to buy shoes was this straight up, legit stripper store. I reluctantly looked but I actually found a half way decent pair, just plain black and not too high of a heel, actually looked very cute (said the girl bouncer at the door) although they set me back a bit she let us all in for free which was $20 a head, so worked out in the end. Sydney was a great city but I ended up not being able to see Coogee and Bondi Beaches because I left it for the last day and it was raining and freezing cold that day (another down side to planning ahead, if the weather sucks the day you're supposed to see something, then too bad, you miss it!), so I figured no point to go there and just come right back. Next stop Byron Bay!




No comments:

Post a Comment