Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon


Reunification Palace


Motorbike ride around town


1.13.10 - 1.14.10: Spent the two days wandering the city; seeing the sights, trying new food and drinks, did some shopping and caught up on email, laundry, and dealt with my stolen bank of america debit card number situation on the phone for a while too. Had nice dinner and drinks outside in the sweltering heat on the corner of a busy intersection... it's no oceanfront dining at all, but an interesting scene none the less. I was expecting Ho Chi Minh to be so much more congested and busy than Hanoi, and although it is a bigger city, I like it as much as I liked Hanoi. I actually really like the area surrounding my hostel and have been able to find my way around pretty easily. Lots of cute shops, cafes, restaurants and bars (like most touristy areas I've been visiting) - very busy and bustling part of town. The main sights I saw were the Reunification Palace, Ben Thanh Market and the War Remnants Museum. I was at the Museum for about 3 hours... it really was quite the intense and extremely sad and disturbing exhibit and experience...

Other than that though, lots of walking, shopping, eating great Vietnamese food (lots of Pho!), sleeping and relaxing :) Off to Cambodia tomorrow!


Streets of Saigon


Outside the War Remnants Museum


not sure what these are called but bike ride around town with a nice local

No comments:

Post a Comment