Thursday, January 7, 2010

Out in Vientiane


you'd be excited if you were this good at bowling too :)

1.06.10 - Tired and sweaty I stopped into a Mexican type place on the Mekkong river, where there's strips of stores, vendors, restaurants, and open air on the dirt local food served to you on the ground or in plastic chairs. I had my first non-Thai meal in a while and tried my first Beerlao. I met a few other travelers who had all just met, a guy from Hungary, one from Ireland and another from England, and we shared a few pitchers of Beerlao with a nice breeze and sunshine. We decided to meet up for dinner so we ate on the ground - literally a mat on the ground with pillows, and had some awesome local food. We later made it to a bar overlooking the river with the bustle of the streets below and lights from Thailand and boats across the river. Even in Laos you can't hide from the buckets, so we naturally enjoyed some of those and played pool with some other travelers we met.

you know, bowling in laos





sharkbowl anyone?

Then we got a group to try and go to a club since the bar was closing aruond 1am and we tried for this "club" a local told us about. Not only was it completely empty other than a few other groups, they had a really funny live band playing really funny corny-wedding-esque music. We had some drinks then were walking around trying to find something else to do and a group of more random travelers who had just met, a guy from la, two guys from Holland and two girls from England, and we decided to join them in finding the next party. All of the places seemed closed so one of the girls said she read somewhere that there is a bowling alley open until 3 so we headed there. It as a really funny scene, and funny to be bowling in loas with 11 complete strangers, but it was a really fun time and they actually stayed open until we didn't want to play anymore. Ended then ight saying bye to my new friends, they almost convinced me to travel with them to another town in Laos, but I already have all my plans set so I decided against that. So here I go again on my own! :)




dinner on dirt - delish!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a blast! I'm so jealous. Some of your pictures are unreal, the scenery looks fake its' so incredible! Have a great time, I'll give you an 8,97 out of 10 on keeping me entertained thus far (keeping up with the updates)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am oddly comforted by the fact that no matter where I am, in whatever corner of the earth, I will be able to find a place to go drunk bowling. Glorious. I am dying of curiosity though--did you win? I know it's in you. Bowling is America's fastest growing sport, after all.
    Keep livin the dream! Lovin it!
    xoxo
    Cara

    ReplyDelete